What is the meaning of "Innovation"?! As per Wikipedia, "The term innovation derives from the Latin word innovatus, which is the noun form of innovare "to renew or change," stemming from in-"into" +novus-"new". " But I have a different meaning to it... When someone is capable of great work but is just too lazy to work then out of their laziness is born "Innovation"... And this recipe is dedicated to all those brainy lazy bums...
Lazyman's Egg curry
Ingredients - (For four people)
Eggs - 6 nos
Onions - 4 medium sized
Tomatoes - 4 medium sized
Salt - To taste or about 1 tea spoon
Chilli Powder - 1 table spoon
(As please reduce if you aren't used to eating spicy food)
Turmeric Powder - A pinch
(Be careful while adding turmeric powder as it not only makes the curry look a lot yellow but also spoils the taste by making it bitter)
Mustard Seeds - 1/4 tea spoon
Cumin Seeds - 1/4 tea spoon
Garlic Flakes - 4 nos
Green Chillies - 3 nos
Oil - 1 table spoon
Water - 3 cups (Or approximately 250 ml)
Method to prepare -
As the name itself suggests you can prepare this when you feel very lazy to cook but hunger is killing you or specially when you piss off your spouse. Obviously, when you piss of your spouse there are only two options left in front of you either cook yourself or pick the phone to order for home delivery.
- First of all fine chop garlic and chillies together and keep aside to fry
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard along with cumin seeds and let them fry till you start hearing the crackling sound
- Immediately add fine chopped garlic and chillies and fry for sometime but reduce the flame below otherwise you will soon find burnt garlic
- In the mean time chop up the onions and tomatoes quickly so that you can add them but same time be careful not to chop of your fingers in a hurry
- Add chopped onions to the pan with the salt, because when you add salt to onions they sweat and help in cooking faster
- The secret behind this recipe cooking is "LOW FLAME", keep the flame as low as possible because if you put the flame high you need to keep waiting next to the stove to watch it over, rather just pick a drink depends what mood you are in whether alcoholic or non alcoholic and enjoy watching TV in the mean time
- After about 4-5 minutes of cooking onions on low flame just go ahead and add the tomatoes
- Mix it up properly before covering with a lid and cooking it on low flame
- Cook for at least 8-10 minutes, post that add turmeric along with chilli powder and mix it up
- Add 250 ml/3 cups of water to the dish and leave it boil for another 12 minutes
- When you see that the water added has almost reduced, go ahead break the eggs directly into the pan over the onion & tomato mixture.... Confused how to do that, then check out the picture as it would give you more realistic picture...
- Cover it up and leave it to cook for another 10 minutes
Once, you feel the egg yolk is cooked then just go ahead and removed the pan from the stove and serve with freshly made hot rice...
This dish if served with rice is a meal all by itself and don't worry thinking that egg dropped raw into the curry would spoil the taste or give you a raw taste.
Egg white actually cooks up faster than many other ingredients and doesn't need too much of heat to cook and the same time there is a very fine layer around egg yolk which actually forms a strong bond around the yolk as soon as heat is applied.
Try it out and you will find it does taste awesome, otherwise find the nearest dust bin and throw it in before picking the phone and calling for home delivery.
- Thotaji Baawarchi :)